Between berry and plum picking and an awesome local farmer’s market, I have been blessed with an overabundance of fruit this September. While I love to eat it fresh – just a bowl full of berries is a great treat – sometimes there’s just too much. Too much to eat. Too much to store. So in an attempt to save refrigerator space, I made bread – blueberry lemon bread (with an added dose of raspberries).
Man, is it good. Not too lemony, and the raspberries add just a bit of unexpected zing. We’re eating the blueberry lemon bread as part of our breakfast, but it makes a great snack or dessert as well. And the best part? All natural, all healthy ingredients. The fat comes from coconut oil – and coconut oil is quickly becoming known for its health benefits – including its ability to help you lose weight.
Blueberry Lemon Bread
2 cups flour – (regular, organic, whole-wheat, gluten-free – whatever you like works)
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ tsp. salt
¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil
¼ cup applesauce (I use the no sugar added kind)
1/3 cup honey (or pure maple syrup)
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 cup blueberries
*1/2 cup of raspberries – optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease your loaf pan.
- Squeeze and zest the lemon.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, coconut oil, applesauce, honey, lemon juice and zest.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold in the blueberries. (I added the raspberries as well at this step).
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
You could also make this blueberry lemon bread using 2 mini-loaf pans (bake for 30 to 40 minutes) or muffin pans (bake for 20-25 minutes). I think it would freeze well – though I haven’t tried it.
I might try this recipe with blackberries in the future. Or plums. My sweet plum tree is getting ripe, so I might tweak this recipe to make plum bread in the next couple of weeks. I’ll let you know if I do, and if it turns out well, I will post the recipe.
Give this healthy blueberry lemon bread a try – just be sure to use the coconut oil, and let me know what you think in the comments section below. Do you have a great, healthy recipe using seasonal berries (or anything else super yummy)? If so, post the details or a link in the comments section below. I’d love to try it.